Labor will today launch its plan for Arts Policy: Renewing Creative Australia. The plan puts a renewed focus on the telling of Australian stories through all art forms.
This election will be a choice between a united Shorten Labor Government, which will restore the arts and culture in Australia, or more of the Liberals’ cuts and chaos.
The policy announcements contained in the policy include:
- Restore a National Cultural Policy by renewing Creative Australia.
- Restoring the “Brandis cuts” to the Australia Council.
- Support for existing First Nations theatre companies to become major performing arts companies and the establishment of a new First Nations theatre company to produce, co-produce, and commission new work as well as provide skills development in the sector.
- Funding for the ABC and SBS for scripted drama, children’s television and music.
- Support for live performance venues.
For the last six years there has been no policy framework for the sector, only cuts and chaos.
Labor supports a vibrant arts sector, telling our stories to each other and the world.
The Liberals have only bought chaos and cuts to the arts.
Labor’s full policy can be found here.